twitter

Incredible watercolour paintings by boy aged just SIX

A street scene from the paintbrush of a child usually involves triangle-topped boxes for houses. And often an unnaturally large dog. But Kieron Williamson's attempts are so beautifully rendered that artists ten times his age will be filled with envy. Experts have said that the six-year-old's atmospheric paintings, which began with harbour scenes and expanded to include rural vistas, animal portraits and landmarks, have perspective, shadow and reflections that demonstrate an ability well beyond his years.



He is even preparing for his first exhibition in a gallery near his home in Holt, Norfolk. His mother, Michelle, said: 'Until last year he didn't draw anything and in fact we had to draw dinosaurs for him to colour in. 'The turning point was when we took our first family holiday to Devon and Cornwall last May and he liked the boats and scenery. He asked for some plain paper and started drawing his own stuff.





'At the time, they were like the drawings of most five-year-olds but he really took off after going to some art classes.' Mrs Williamson, 36, a nutritional therapist, is married to art dealer Keith, 43. The couple also have a daughter, Billie-Jo, five. 'We often think about why Kieron has chosen art in this way and I think it's because we live in a top-floor flat and we have no garden or outside space, so perhaps he's had to create his own scenery,' she said.





Kieron appears to agree. 'I like painting because it's fun and inspiring. It makes me think of places I can't see,' he said. His talent was recognised by a family friend, artist Carol Ann Pennington, who offered to give him lessons. She said: 'I have known Kieron since he was a baby but I had no idea he had it in him.' His hero is Norfolk landscape artist Edward Seago, who died in 1974. The late Queen Mother was an avid fan, and bought many of his paintings.







Obviously keen to follow in his footsteps by courting royal patronage, Kieron said: 'I'm going to send one of my pictures to Prince Charles. I've already sent one to the Queen but I haven't had a reply yet.' An exhibition of his work will go on display on Sunday - two days before his seventh birthday - at Mrs Pennington's gallery, The Last Picture Show In Town.







Art expert Jeremy Green, owner of The Canon Gallery in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, said of Kieron's work: 'It is unusual to see someone of that age painting with such definition and in such a stylistic way. Normally they would be splashing colour all over the place. 'Some of these watercolours have a very rigid structure as if he has been painting in that style for some time. They are very good, there's no doubt about it.' • Kieron's work is on show at the Last Picture Show In Town, Cromer Road, Holt, Norfolk, from Sunday.



Is this the largest and heaviest women on the planet?

Standing at 6ft 6ins and weighing 34 stone, this woman has been dubbed a modern-day giant - and, alarmingly, she is still growing.

Tanya Angus, who suffers from a rare growth condition, is already one of the tallest and heaviest women on the planet.

Now doctors say she is the only woman in the world whose growth cannot be halted by medication.



Suffering from a rare disease known as Acromeglia, a condition often referred to as 'gigantism', (which means her body is producing too much growth hormone), Tanya rocketed from a slender 5ft 8ins at the age of 18 to a massive 6ft 6ins and 34 stone.

'I'm staying hopeful,' says 30-year-old Tanya, from Nevada, USA.

'Without hope you don't have anything. I hope they can stop me growing one day so I can try to live as normally as possible.'

Tanya's troubles began in her late teens when she noticed that her feet, face and figure were continuing to grow at an alarming rate.

'I started to feel unhappy with my appearance. I started spending a fortune on make-up, trying to make myself look better. I couldn't understand why my face didn't look as attractive any more,' she said.



Tanya also began suffering severe migraines and felt run down and depressed, as if she was suffering from constant flu.

But though she kept going to see her GP, he believed the 20-year-old was just an attention-seeker hoping to be given anti-depressant drugs, and refused to help.

Even more shockingly Tanya's figure started to alter. Her once-womanly body became larger overall, and straight up and down - like a man's.

'Someone at work actually asked me if I used to be a man,' she said.

'My voice had also changed and become deeper. I was devastated and started to feel very shy and insecure.'

Things finally came to a head when her own boyfriend also asked her about her new shape, and got his mum to ask her whether she'd had a sex change.

'I was heartbroken and I decided I didn't want any more to do with him,' she said. 'I phoned my mum and said I wanted to come back to Nevada.

'As soon as my sister saw me at the airport, she knew I'd changed, and she called my mum and told her we needed to see a doctor.'

The family GP immediately recognised the signs of gigantism and referred Tanya to a specialist. At that stage she was 6ft 1ins tall, and a size 14 to 16, with a size 10 feet.

An MRI scan eventually showed a tumour the size of a grapefruit in her brain which had wrapped itself around her inner carotid artery, causing an overproduction of growth hormone.

It was so big, doctors at first said there was nothing to be done.

But Tanya's mum Karen, EMT-1 medical professional and firefighter, searched the Internet and medical publications until she finally found a doctor who said he could operate.

In 2003, she Tanya finally underwent surgery to remove most of the tumour, although small parts of it were too difficult to separate from her brain. She was then given a cocktail of drugs to try to control the huge amounts of growth hormones still in her body.

Tanya had a count of 3,000 of the hormones, compared to an average person's of just 250. Doctors were anxious to bring the level down to less than 1,000, but they were barely able to do that. Her height had crept up to 6ft 3ins, and she was now a size 20.

Unable to walk properly, she had to live with her mother and stepfather. She barely went out and was subjected to stares and make rude comments in the street.

'It was horrible,' she said. 'My whole life had to change, and I couldn't do anything for myself any more.

'The hardest thing is that people kept thinking I was man, and calling me sir, which really annoys me. I try to dress in feminine clothes and wear make-up to look nice, but it's really hard when you're my size.'

Two years later in 2005, the hormone levels again began to soar, and Tanya's mum sought out a second specialist who discovered the tumour had grown again and was now the size of an orange.



She underwent further surgery, and fat from her stomach had to be used to pad out areas of brain tissue from where the tumour had been removed.

Tanya was put on another set of medication to reduce the growth hormone, but her levels have never sunk to below 900 and are now over 1,000. She is now one of the world's tallest women, and also one of the heaviest.

Then two years ago, Tanya also suffered a stroke, caused by the pressure her massive body was putting on her heart. She had to learn how to walk and talk again, and now suffers hearing difficulties.

She recovered and went to live with her sister, but still struggles to get around, and now uses a wheelchair.

'Doctors just say there is nothing we can do for her,' said Karen. 'You don't know how many doctors we have called to try and help us. We've spent all our savings, over $200,000 (£122,300) trying to help her.

'One doctor even told me that my daughter had only two months to live. That was eight months ago, but I refused to believe it.

'I won't stop until we can find something to halt the growth.'

Now Tanya has a new doctor, who she's been seeing for three months, and he is hopeful of finally finding a drug combination to slow down her growth.

'I'm doing this story because I want people to understand why I'm this way,' she says. 'It's not my fault I ended up like this.

'People even in my home town are still so hurtful, and I'd like people to be educated so they can treat me as a real person at last.

Still in good working order, the television set made in 1936

It was made 73 years ago - and unlike modern gadgets it was built to last.

A television that was around for King George VI's 1937 Coronation and survived the Blitz has today been unveiled as Britain's oldest working set.

The black-and-white Marconiphone 702 dates back to 1936 and is still in its original condition.



It has a 12-inch screen and is estimated to have been manufactured around November 1936, the same month as the BBC television service from Alexandra Palace was first broadcast.

The set is likely to have screened landmark occasions including George VI's Coronation Procession, the 1948 London Olympic Games and the Queen's Coronation in 1953. When new, it cost 60 Guineas - the equivalent of around £11,000 today.

The only addition is a conspicuous set-top box which has converted the set from analogue to digital, bringing the device firmly into the 21st century.

Jeffrey Borinsky, a consultant engineer from North London, entered a competition to find the country's oldest TV.

He has owned the set for ten years. He said: 'I still enjoy watching my Marconiphone occasionally, especially cartoons from the 1930s, which the original owner might also have seen on the set.

'And converting the set to digital means I can continue to watch it for many years to come.'

Iain Logie Baird, television curator at the National Media Museum in Bradford and grandson of the inventor of TV, John Logie Baird, set up the competition.

He said: 'A small fraction of pre-War tellies still exist - many fell into disrepair or were simply thrown out when a newer set arrived, and we know about 3,000 were lost in the London bombings.'

The set will join a display of televisions from across the ages at the National Media Museum.

Leap of faith: Daredevil motorcyclist jumps London's Tower Bridge while doing a no-handed backflip

Motocross star Robbie Maddison found an unusual way to cross the Thames this morning - when he used his motorbike to leap an open Tower Bridge.

The 27-year-old Australian performed a no-handed backflip as he jumped the gap between the north and south side of the historic London landmark at 2.55am.

‘The whole experience was awesome,’ he said.




‘We had a matter of minutes on the bridge and had to time everything to the second - there were so many factors to get right, but we pulled it off.

‘It was an incredible feeling to fly between the two towers and over the Thames.’

Maddison said he had been planning a stunt in London since his last feat - leaping off a ramp on to a life-size replica of the Arc de Triomphe in Las Vegas on New Year’s Eve last year.




‘People say I’m crazy, but I just want to push the boundaries of my sport and my body to the limit and I love taking on these huge challenges,’ he said.

Maddison, who also holds the record for the world’s longest ever motorbike jump (350.7ft) will perform at Battersea Power Station on August 22 as part of the Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour 2009.

His stunts are reminiscent of Evel Knievel, the American motorcycle daredevil whose jumps including his 1974 attempt to jump Snake River Canyon in Idaho.

His achievements and failures, including his record 37 broken bones, earned him several entries in the Guinness Book of World Records before his death in 2007.

The pups of war: Police seize 20 vicious 'weapon dogs' in raid on suspected gang members

THEY may look cute and helpless, but these puppies could turn into the devil dogs that can be as dangerous as a gun or knife.

Pit bull terriers are trained by criminals to terrorise neighbourhoods, inflict horrific injuries on their rivals and intimidate all who meet them.

These four-week- old puppies were among 20 pit bulls seized yesterday as police launched one of the biggest operations of its kind.





Specialist officers wearing protective padded gear smashed down the doors of several suspected gang members in early morning raids on 12 addresses in South London.

Some of the older dogs were dragged snarling from their homes by officers from the Metropolitan Police's Status Dog Unit.

The unit was set up in March following a surge in complaints from members of the public about 'assault animals' being paraded as trophies by lawless thugs. Since March, there have been 273 dangerous dogs seized across London, with pit bull terriers making up the majority.

Pit bulls were banned under the 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act, but they have not disappeared.

Known as weapon dogs by the police, they are a must-have for gangsters and young street thugs.

They are brutalised by their irresponsible owners and some are put on treadmills to bulk up their muscles and hanged from the branches of trees by their teeth to strengthen their bite.

Many will be used in muggings and other robberies or train o take part in illegal dog fights. Others are let loose in parks where they are encouraged to attack other dogs and their owners, so that their masters can show who runs the neighbourhood.







The number of victims needing hospital treatment after attacks by dangerous dogs has increased from 4,328 in 1999 to 5,943 last year.

There have been several cases of children being killed by the dogs.

London magistrates are being given lessons on how to tell the difference between illegal pit bulls and legal Staffordshire bull terriers.

London Deputy Mayor Kit Malthouse said: 'Weapon dogs are not fluffy pets. They are kept to intimidate and cause injury or death, no different from a knife or a gun.'

The animals seized yesterday will be examined by the Status Dog Unit before a court hearing to decide their fate. Many will be put down because they cannot be rehabilitated.

But if the puppies are deemed in court not to be dangerous they could be returned to their owners as long as the owners agree to conditions.

These include having the animals neutered, and keeping them muzzled and on a lead.

Justice Yemen-style: Paedophile who raped boy, 11, shot in the head in front of hundreds of spectators

This is criminal justice, Yemen style. A man accused of raping and murdering an 11-year-old boy is paraded through his home town before being shot dead by an executioner.

Hundreds of onlookers lined the streets to watch the gruesome scene, cheering and shouting abuse at Yehya Hussein al-Raghwah.

The boy, Hamdi al-Kabas, had reportedly come into his shop for a haircut last December during the Muslim festival of Eid. After brutally attacking him, the barber cut his body into pieces and dumped them outside the capital Sana'a.






He was given the death penalty by a Yemeni court a month later after apparently admitting his crime.

Shocking images of his final moments were released following the execution yesterday.

First he leaves the city's central prison, handcuffed and dressed in white robes. Fear etched on his face, he is surrounded by soldiers as he is led towards a ceremonial red carpet.

He is allowed to say a final prayer, his shirt is then ripped open before he is laid face down.

As a police official reads out his sentence for the last time, a doctor oversees his treatment and crowds - which appear to include children - jeer and punch the air, some filming his final moment on their mobile phones.



A soldier brandishes his machine gun at the nape of the barber's neck, and within a split second it is all over. His death brings the number of executions in the country this year to nine.

Yemen is one of 59 countries which retains the death penalty, and one of its most prolific users, according to Amnesty International.

It is deployed for a variety of violent and non-violent crimes including apostasy and adultery.

Last year Yemen executed 13 people, according to those Amnesty has verified. But as no official figures are released the real toll could be far higher.

All of those died by firing squad but in recent years there have been reports of stonings and beheadings.

The deeply religious desert country has a poor human rights record and it is unclear if the barber had a fair trial.

Under sharia law, which applies in Yemen, relatives of the victims of certain categories of murder have the power to pardon the offender in exchange for compensation, grant a pardon freely or request his or her execution.

Horror as two-year-old girl is strangled to death by 8ft pet python

A two-year-old girl has been strangled to death in her bed by a pet python which escaped from its cage in the middle of the night.

The eight-foot Burmese python broke out of a terrarium and killed toddler Shaiunna Hare in her bedroom in Florida.

Charles Jason Darnell, the snake's owner and boyfriend of the child's mother, went to the little girl's room when he realised the reptile was missing.




He found Shaiunna in the snake's deadly grasp, with bite marks on her head.

Darnell stabbed at the snake until he was able to pry the child away, but the infant was dead by the time emergency services arrived.

'The baby's dead!' a sobbing caller from the house screamed to an emergency all dispatcher in a recording. 'Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby... She got out of the cage last night and got into the baby's crib and strangled her to death.'

Authorities did not say who made the emergency call.

The snake was taken away alive by emergency services.



Darnell did not have a permit for the reptile. He has not been charged but investigators are looking into whether there was child neglect or if any other laws were broken.

The snake is to be placed with someone who does have a permit for it pending an investigation into the toddler's death.

At least 12 people have been killed in America by pet pythons since 1980, including Shaiunna and four other children.

Burmese pythons can reach a length of 26 feet (8 metres)and weigh more than 200lbs (90kg).



Some owners have freed pythons into the wild and a population of them has taken hold in the Everglades. One killed an alligator and then burst when it tried to eat it.

Scientists also speculate a number of Burmese pythons escaped in 1992 from pet shops battered by Hurricane Andrew and have been reproducing since.

'It's becoming more and more of a problem, perhaps no fault of the animal, more a fault of the human,' said Jorge Pino, a state wildlife commission spokesman. 'People purchase these animals when they're small. When they grow, they either can't control them or release them.'

George Van Horn, owner of Reptile World Serpentarium, said the strangulation could have occurred because the snake felt threatened or because it thought the child was food.

'They are always operating on instinct,' he said. 'Even the largest person can become overpowered by a python.'